Reality is that Cosmetics play a major role in polluting the environment. Whether the products are affecting the water or the air in either ways. The chemicals released from the products are causing deaths among the water species, rainforests, flora and fauna and many more.
Some of the harmful chemicals used in cosmetic industry are –
- Dioxin is a type of substance which can lead to deaths of insects.
- BHA ( butylated hydroxyanisole) and BHT ( butylated hydroxytoluene) are antioxidants that’s mostly used in lipstick, moisturizer and other products and that affects the fishes and generates genetic mutation among amphibians.
- Sodium Laureth Sulfate is an anionic detergent which is present and observed impermanency in fishes.
- Diethanolamine is used in soaps and other cleansing products. Before being used by humans, the products are tested on animals and the researchers say that it leads to cancer.
Most people aren’t aware of the damage happening to Mother Earth. Cosmetics companies assure to deliver natural products but it’s mostly the other way round.
The fact tells that chemicals overflow the natural ingredients which companies mention. In a span of time people are encouraged to purchase natural products and never thought how much farming and digging work has to be done. Even for natural ingredients the chemicals or pesticides sprayed are harmful.
Negative impact of few products that contains:
- Almost everyone prefers “palm oil “, but have a second thought about whether it is harming nature or wildlife. To extract the oil, trees are cut down at an increasing rate. The word ‘sustainable palm oil’ is used to indicate that the oil is organically extracted but there is nothing as such. In order to reach the demand, the cutting down of trees and deforestation takes place which directly affects the wildlife. Nearly all the products contain
palm oil in them , let it be chocolate, chips, cleansers and even in pet food.
The solution to avoid deforestation, death of animals and loss of rainforest is to avoid palm oil or vegetable oil.
- Talking about sunscreen which helps in protecting from harsh UV rays. Oxybenzone chemical is used for bleaching of coral reefs. All these chemicals wash away and eventually end up in the ocean which thereby damages the ecosystem and habitat.
Using sunscreen which doesn’t contain Oxybenzone will help in reduction for the damages made in the ecosystem.
There are many other products which disturb the system of animals. Wet wipes, plastic used in the packaging, and various chemicals are negatively impacting the planet. Products which contain aloe vera and herbal products should be used.